Tuesday, January 23, 2007

The big rush of men's accessories and it's pathetic correlation to that 'Dress to Impress' slogan

I have genereally been anticipating the arrival of many things in life: My first car, my first city apartment, my first ridiculously expensive purchase, etc. I thought of many things that excite me in the realm of fashion and, as any unreasonable college graduate, I turn to the unobtainable items to grasp a hold of. By this, I mean I enjoy the items that not everyone my age can afford. By carrying a bag, what sort of image do I reflect? By wearing those really cool loafers and heading out into town, who will think differently of me, based on my purchase? Ok, now I am starting to sound slightly superficial. Let's get down to the point.

I have eagerly anticipated what is to be considered the biggest rush of men's accessories in the history of high fashion, all within the last decade. An array of shiny necklaces, bracelets and rings, a bandana paired with a leather cuff, a tweed fedora or paper boy cap or perhaps a statement belt with matching shoes. I guess I never realized the intensity to which any given combination could reflect upon my reputation. I am usually a guy who thinks that extreme fashion can be displayed by taking minimal efforts to look good. By accessorizing in the dozens, we are allowing for ourselves to become vulnerable and obvious. Afterall, isn't it obvious why some people try so hard to look the way they do?

A league of gentlemen, ranging from the ages of 20 all the way up have been spotted wearing all too much. Some of it trendy, others exude a classic taste with more traditional accessories. When we think of high fashion, some of us tend to look passed the cool clothes and attitude and run straight for accessories. The simplest compliments from onlookers is usually about an accessory that you have slapped on before heading out of your house. While their is nothing wrong with accessories, a clear distinction must be made between those who bare a seemingly flawless ensemble because of their over usage of accessories and those who regard their look as a gourmet meal: An excellent combination of lavish ingredients with added spices to complete the finishing touches. Accessories, to these people, must become the minor details that one leaves out when dressing themselves. Of course, in certain situations, one wouldn't leave the house complete without the other, however, how one dresses themselves must take on priority before bundling up in accessories.

I have always loved the classic example of the woman donning all too much jewelry. Rich or poor, these women look tacky. It shows a level of insecurity when one tries to impress with too many accessories. Multicolored bags, flashy jems, 18 kt. Gold necklaces and bracelets with bangles and intimidating shoes. I need a minute to breathe to see the way some people dress. I have often heard that you can tell someone's socio-economic status by the way they dress. This is true in a way because nowadays, people who dress in desperation tend to overlook the quality and style while focusing on how much others will perceive it to look authentic and fantastic. A guy with an expensive Rolex watch enters the room and people notice it immediately. This only goes as far as noticing your mailman has a great smile. Character cannot be determined through life's simple pleasures. We should feel thankful that most of us are given an opportunity to prove how well we dress. These days, quality can be found almost anywhere for a decent price. Dressing to impress has, since the old days, become considerably cheaper. Find great pants and a well-fitted shirt, all for under $60! Then if you get the urge to splash a little hardware on your body (your favorite bracelet, a ring or perhaps a belt), you won't feel as guilty.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.