Tuesday, August 22, 2006

A Conversation With Tee's

From bumper stickers to a memorable line in a movie, words and phrases have appeared on T-shirts ever since T-shirts have been invented. They keep people entertained or informed when worn in public and can serve as a way of expressing one's personality or stance on an issue. Yet, how much do most of these Conversational T-shirts impact others? When we wear a T-shirt with something written on it, are people supposed to take us seriously, or are we merely attempting to be facetious? While your mouth speaks in conversation, others form their own opinion of you. The same with your clothes. What you wear can and sometimes will attract certain people. A conversation ON your T-shirt is both and can also be viewed as your life book being open to the public. In other words, your thoughts are published on your front cover, loud and clear.

In the light of many classic Conversation T-shirts (Sh*t Happens, Have a Nice Day), a new breed of Coversation Tee's has arrived in full force. Among some of these are 'Tell your mom I said Hi', 'Your Town Called, Their Village Idiot is Missing", and the ever-so-creative 'Who farted'. It is beyond me as to who would be purchasing or making these T-shirts, let alone trying to figure out who would wear such a stupid creation. This reminds me of a clearance rack of T-shirts at a Gas station in the middle of Nowhere, America. I have recently seen many T-shirts made to cater to the youth and societies Dumb and dumberer. Walking into many famous retailers, you are sure to see a shirt that reads some useless phrase that rarely holds any sort of significance to any potential customer. I have to admit, some of them have made me laugh and laugh hard at that, too. Yet, I enjoy being part of the crowd that will laugh at the T-shirt. Rarely will I ever enjoy being the guy whose wearing the shirt. It is sad to see that so many creative teams within a clothing company can be so predictable. It becomes redundant and loses its novelty after being tossed around repeatedly. Furthermore, I believe this fad to be a travesty on the part of wearable smart humor and conversation Tee's that serve a deeper meaning and/or purpose.

In the event that you are that guy or girl who wears these T-shirts and thinks that I am being too critical, I offer you an ultimatum. When choosing a conversational T-shirt, look for a T-shirt that might hold some form of significance. By this I mean choose a T-shirt that represents you and will be easily understood to the people around you. For example, The 'Everybody likes an Asian Boy' Tee (although cliché) is a very appropriate choice for a Korean guy. Try to find a T-shirt that says not only something humorous, but something intelligent. Not only will your friends read your shirt, but anyone else in your sight can potentially read it. A crude joke on a T-shirt can make your friends smile but could also upset your boyfriend/ girlfriend or perhaps a Boss or a Teacher. Holding a conversation should maintain their interest, not steer them away from you. By using this guideline, you are able to get the best out of every situation: Make your friends laugh, challenge a thought, impress your significant other and make your parents proud.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Sup Ken.I wore a lot of conversation tees when I was in high-school, which is my excuse. Nowadays the only convo tees I own are a, an Urban Outfitters "The Best Girls Are Black" shirt and b, this cute tee from Lucky Brand I got in LA that just said
"Another damn T-shirt" that I just had to buy.
I do think the semi-crude and sexual tee's are offensive and just plain immature past the age of 17. I supposed designer tees (i.e. the infamous FCUK shirts) are always going to make little conversation tees. But, I too tend to shake my head at the 20 and older crowd who sport conversation tees with little more than "Tony the Tiger is Grrreeat!" on it. As Mr.T would say, "I pity the fool!"

xo-Audrey

Andrew W Hill said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Andrew W Hill said...

Logos say 'I am an ad. Turn the page'

Andrew W Hill said...

This one has a little more relevance to the issue: considered some of the best t-shirt designs

Andrew W Hill said...

eau de toilet

Andrew W Hill said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.