Thursday, August 03, 2006

The Price of Shock Value

As little kids, most of us loved to tell or hear stories that incorporated an element of surprise. Those people enjoyed topping anyone else's stories with something more exciting, something unbelievable and something more unheard of. Secretly, the one who told the best story or a story had the invisible crown of social coolness. Suddenly when your friends tell a story to others, they will mention your name, even to people you don't know. Before you know it, voila, you become a legend. Any element of shock value works similarly in that those of us who engage in creating shock value suddenly become a milestone in everyone's history as someone who did this or someone who was able to do that. In the 1960's, Leslie Hornby (otherwise known as 'Twiggy') shocked millions with her thinness and her boyish haricut. Decades have flown by and she is still known for being a pioneer to the current model figure. Of course, this may not be the best reputation to have, however, the point is that she made a look so famous, that it is, to this day, Twiggy that is known as one of the world's most famous models.

I experimented with this look a couple of months ago. No, no, I am not talking about eating air and water and sliming down to a 10 inch waist. I tried to revive a trend that wasn't yet a huge success but contained an immense amount of potential. In January of 2006, I jokingly mentioned to a couple friends how I would be the first guy to wear a designer label fanny pack in the hopes that I would turn heads, first in disgust, then with a pensive look on their face (hopefully a positive indication of my bold choice). I didn't really care what it was that I would wear but it was important that the object I chose was in good condition, in extremely fashionable taste and was beginning to become accepted by early adopters as a major fashion movement. I opted for the fanny pack because it was a clean item, it would go with almost any of my looks and clothes and would wreak of originality. Many readers may not agree, but in Boulder, Colorado, your fashion choices really have slimmed down to North Face, Crocs and American Eagle Outfitters. This was my chance to wear something that would have people say, "Wha...? Whoa, did you see that?"

I drove to my local Neiman Marcus, where a nice lady had ordered my "Waist Pouch" (as the Italians call it), purchased the item and drove back to Boulder, planning my day of attack. I went to school later that week, walked into class, and immediately heard sighs and people yelling my name in class. "Ken! Where did you buy that?", "Ken! I always wanted one of those and now I really want one BAD!" and "Wait? Are you kidding me?" were among the responses I received after 5 minutes of class. I laughed silently, told them my parents bought it for me and then went on with class, not bringing up the fanny pack again. It was utterly successful. I had encouraged people to make a bold fashion choice and most importantly, be able to back it up 100%. My confidence level had to be high. I was wearing a fanny pack! I didn't have the slightest clue what to really expect. Yet, now I am certain that what I did helped me make some bold choices of my own.

The key idea here is that we must all make choices. Whether we like it or not, people will judge us for our decisions and that is ok. Life isn't about gaining the acceptance of others to build your own credibility, it is about being able to express yourself naturally and uniquely as possible to be comfortable with yourself. Shock value can be viewed as the lime in your soda for an added zesty flavor. The soda is what people know you as, but when adding a hint of something different you recreate an entirely different taste that will please the masses (or displease, depending on the people and your choices). I have never gotten more compliments from strangers in my life before the fanny pack experiment and to this day people still talk about it; the infamous fanny pack and how only I could pull it off. ;) I say take the plunge, face the challenge and immerse yourself in a daring fashion choice that is hardly look at as a social norm.

1 comment:

Jill Hovey said...

Oh Ken, I remember the day you bought that "waist pouch" and brought it in to Urban and we all marveled at it. And then we sang MIA all night and made dirty jokes. I miss you guys! - Jill (you probably don't remember me but that's ok)