Saturday, December 09, 2006

The best look is the best fit. Period.

One of the greatest things about looking great is knowing that you are wearing something that fits. Not only does it compliment your body, it also compliments your character. A great fit and a great look pretty much go hand in hand. Unfortunately, life isn't always that easy. We tend to sway with sizes that squeeze, pinch or discomfort us, even if that means saving a couple extra bucks or even saving time by not searching endlessly for a perfectly-fitted shirt. This makes us and everyone else who does this looking rushed. If there is anything more unattractive than a rushed wardrobe choice, please let me know! I would like my theory to be challenged. Sincerely.

I have spent too many hours of my life watching people make these mistakes. Not once, not twice, but multiple times. The worst part is that they are not able to notice that they are making these excrutiatingly painful decisions. The color looks good, the collar is straight, but what they fail to realize is that they are literally swimming in fabric that could drown them in a sea of continuously disasterous outfits. So, let's say you find the perfect color for your skin type. Great! That is one step towards the right direction. But, why stop there? Why find the color, but not the cut? Ultimately, your decision to buy anything you wear should be based upon a series of requirements that follow an almost identical match to your exact specifications. Confused?

Let's throw it on the table. Ideally, you should become familiar with certain colors that compliment your body and skin tone. Everyone should try on as many colors as possible to become acquainted with different shades, levels of brightness as well as specific hues that tone, accentuate, flatter and promote everything from your character to your physical appearances. Have a friend nearby so that they can offer their own criticism on the colors you have chosen. Try to avoid colors that are too bright or extremely dull. My own personal rule is that I try to steer clear from "undefined colors". By this, I mean colors which I am unable to determine it's exact name. Bluish-purple? That's fine. A combination of orange and green? Probably not. Once you have determined the colors that compliment you, be sure to reference those colors so that when you are out in the search for these colors, you don't have to look through stacks and stacks of shirts, pants, etc. that may not contain your colors. THIS will save you so much time.

The cut of the shirt is extremely important. You MUST (absolute must) figure out your size in everything you wear. Don't have a clue? Go get sized! Most places offer a free sizing so you know (for your own personal records) what your specific measurements are. After getting sized, use your own personal chart as your guide to finding the better fit. Also keep in mind care instructions as well as options for alterations. Will it shrink? Will it stretch? Should I go longer? Can I bring it in a little? By considering the following, you will make the best judgment for any purchase. Above, is a male figure (my apologies, ladies!) with areas measured for specific cuts designed to fit the best for specific body types. Not all, but most are to be considered for measure so that you are able to find your size with ease. Be aware that some items of clothing will only be sized by the standard, most simplistic sizing groups (S, M, L, XL). You must always try these sizes on, as they differ from manufacturer to manufacturer, brand to brand as well as from seamstress to seamstress. Never assume it fits.

Paying specifically more attention to shirts, we must rely on so many factors for a perfect fit. I always go by this order:

1. Style- What type of shirt is it?
2. Color- What color suites me the most?
3. Size- Do they have my size?
4. Length- Do I have to worry that it might be too short or is the length just right?
5. Arms- Are the arms baggy or form-fitted? If baggy, then am I able to tighten it up?

I have been able to find many shirts that, even if it doesn't fit, I am able to bring it in to perfection. Keep in mind that altering should always be an option, especially for items that you intend to keep for longer periods of time. Some retailers even have a seamstress on duty for quick fixes or perhaps complimentary repairs to have your purchase fitting to your precise measurements.

After ranting on about the trouble one must go through in order to find the right fit, you must think that life is too short to alter everything we buy. You're probably right. Why go through all the trouble to look almost illegally amazing? Take your hard-earned money and spend it on five ugly shirts instead of two very well-tailored, high quality shirts. Like I said, I am always up for someone to challenge my (painfully reasonable) suggestions. Let's see if you can think of an article of clothing that is significantly better than apparel that offers the best fit for your own personal measurements.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Ok, here's my beef with the size of men's shirts:

I have a handful of well-named dress shirts that are "my size" but have billowy arms. They are the right arm length, but seem to be cut for someone with a moderately beefy combination of chest and shoulders (hey, I can dream) and arms that look like fire hydrants.

WTF?

Am I being picky about the puff cuffs around my forearms?

PS-I would also like for you to let suitmakers know (and Ben Sherman is off the hook for this) that they can take in the midsection a bit. I'm tired of looking like a gray box on legs.

That is all,

the teacher